Let $A,B$ are two positive integers. Assuming that we have a product of the form $$ \prod_{\substack{a\mid A \\ \gcd(a,B)=1}}f(a). $$ Is there a better notation to be used instead of $a\mid A$ and $\gcd(a,B)=1$ under the product sign Bests

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ I would suggest two steps: first define the index set. Quite often that gives profit in the sequel too. $\endgroup$ – drhab Oct 17 '14 at 9:47
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ To flush out what @drhab means: Let $X=\left\{x: x|A \text{ and } \gcd(x,B)=1\right\}$. Then just take the product over all $x\in X$. And it's also pretty common to write $\gcd(x,B)=1$ as just $(x,B)=1$. Usually context implies we mean $\gcd$. $\endgroup$ – BeaumontTaz Oct 17 '14 at 9:49
  • $\begingroup$ @drhab and BeaumonTaz, thanks for the comments. Indeed I am trying to avoid adding extra definition like a set $X$. But if this is the only possibility then I will do this. $\endgroup$ – user80225 Oct 17 '14 at 12:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy