How to find the antiderivative of $\dfrac{1}{x^2(1+x^2)}$? I recognized that this can be done with trigonometric substitution and I let $x = \tan(x)$ and ended up with $\dfrac{1}{\tan(x^2)}$; then I got stuck with it.
I have the answer for this question, which is $-\arctan(x) - \dfrac{1}{x} + C$. However, I would really want to learn how it is solved.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ It will be very easy to get confused if you don't change variable names when making a substitution - use something like x = tan(u) rather than x=tan(x). $\endgroup$ – Mark Pattison Aug 8 '14 at 13:42


  • $\begingroup$ helpful, thanks! $\endgroup$ – Joshua L Aug 8 '14 at 12:09
  • $\begingroup$ Effective and helpful! :) $\endgroup$ – mrs Aug 8 '14 at 12:09

As an alternative to partial fractions, you could try using the substitution $u=\frac{1}{x}$. Then,




Then the anti-derivative sought follows immediately.


If you want to go on your way, after getting $$\int\frac{du}{\tan^2 u}$$ (note that it is not $\int du/\tan(u^2)$) by using $x=\tan u$, you can use $$\frac{1}{\tan^2u}=\frac{1}{\sin^2u}-1,\ \ \left(-\frac{1}{\tan u}\right)'=\frac{1}{\sin^2u}.$$


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.