Is it correct to name the red and blue points hinge points, as an alternative to zero crossing? Or are their better terms to describe these points?

zero crossings


I have several functions like these. I want to stress that these points are 'fixed', and not the fact they cross zero.

updated zero crossing

  • $\begingroup$ Points $x$ such that $f(x) = 0$ are called zeros of $f$, or roots of $f = 0$ or the $0$-level set of $f$. Haven't heard of hinge points $\endgroup$ – Ilya Jul 24 '14 at 10:31
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ It sounds like "hinge points" might be another name for what I know as "turning points", which are where $f''(x)=0$. In the graphic above, it looks like the red and blue points are turning points and zeroes. $\endgroup$ – Matt R. Jul 24 '14 at 10:36
  • $\begingroup$ Zero crossing seems like a perfectly adequate term (even preferred I would say). Is there any reason you don't want to use it? $\endgroup$ – EuYu Jul 24 '14 at 10:41
  • $\begingroup$ Turning point is another term for inflection point. $\endgroup$ – traindriver Jul 24 '14 at 10:42
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I suggest "pivot point". Which I suppose means the same as hinge point, but it sounds more technical :-) $\endgroup$ – TonyK Jul 24 '14 at 10:46

If $f$ is a real or complex valued function and $x$ is the point for which $f(x) = 0$, the usual terminology is to say that $x$ is the root of $f$.

  • $\begingroup$ I updated to question to clarify what I exactly mean. $\endgroup$ – traindriver Jul 24 '14 at 10:49
  • $\begingroup$ @traindriver You made it less clear, actually. $\endgroup$ – 5xum Jul 24 '14 at 10:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.