In the lecture notes for Fourier Transforms and it's Applications on page 212 by Bracewell he talks about representing a signal as a sum of distributions evenly spaced out by a distance p.

$$\rho_p(x) = \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} \rho(x-kp)$$

He then goes on to say that you can write the periodized density as a convolution with a sum of shifted $\delta$'s:

$$\rho_p(x) = \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} \rho(x-kp) = \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x - kp)*\rho(x)$$

This doesn't make sense to me. According to the sifting propery - integrating a shifted delta function by kp should give you $\rho(kp)$. However, for all values > p the distribution should be 0 so you end up just getting the first distribution $\rho(x)$ and it ends up not being periodized.

Can someone explain how those are equivalent?


I'm not sure about the filtering, but I think this is mostly a question of notation. To simplify, define $$\delta_y(x) := \delta(x-y),$$ where $\delta$ is such that $\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x)\delta(x)dx = f(0)$. Then, $\int f\delta_y = f(y)$, so this is your statement that integrating against a shifted $\delta$ function should give you $\rho(kp)$. Regardless of what the distributions are doing for $p > 0$, you simply have the following identity: $$\rho(x-kp) = (\delta_{kp}*\rho)(x).$$ [Note that $\delta_{kp}*\rho$ is itself a function of $x$.] To see this 'formally' (this is not a proper argument) \begin{align*} (\delta_{y}*\rho)(x) &= \int_{-\infty}^\infty \rho(z)\delta_y(x-z)dz \\ &= \int_{-\infty}^\infty \rho(z)\delta(x-z-y)dz \\ &= \int_{-\infty}^\infty \rho(x-w-y)\delta(w)dw \\ &= \rho(x-y). \end{align*} [Remark: two minus signs cancelled out during the change of variables.] Take $y = kp$ for your result.

| cite | improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ Thank you that was very useful and clear $\endgroup$ – coderdave May 26 '14 at 15:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.