"Gluing" constructions are common in topology: by gluing two disks along their boundaries we get a sphere; by gluing a cylindical "handle" to a sphere we get a torus, and so forth.

If the original spaces have a metric in addition to topology, when and how do these metrics carry over to the result of gluing? What are the compatibility conditions required for the glued space to have a metric of its own?

  • $\begingroup$ With the latest edit, this is a reasonable question. The prime example of the gluing construction that I know is Urysohn's universal metric space. Many other examples can be found in the book by Bridson and Haefliger. $\endgroup$ – Moishe Kohan Aug 6 '14 at 23:50

To perform the gluing, we need:

  • two metric spaces $X$ and $Y$
  • a set $A\subset X$, this is the part of $X$ covered in glue
  • an isometric embedding $f:A\to Y$, which is a way to put the glue-covered part of $X$ over $Y$.

After we firmly press the spaces together and let them sit for a while, a point $x\in A$ becomes identical with the point $f(x)\in Y$. The resulting space can be described as the quotient $(X\sqcup Y)/(x\sim f(x))$. It is usually denoted $X\cup_A Y$. Its metric is the standard quotient metric; however, in this case the formula for quotient metric can be simplified to $$ \tilde d(p,q) = \begin{cases} d_X(p, q) & \mbox{if } p, q \in X \\ d_Y(p, q) & \mbox{if } p, q \in Y \\ \inf_{a\in A} [d_X(p, a)+d_Y(q, f(a))] & \mbox{if } p \in X \mbox{ and } q \in Y \\ \inf_{a\in A} [d_Y(p, f(a)) + d_X(q, a)] & \mbox{if } p \in Y \mbox{ and } q \in X \end{cases} $$

A simple example to start with: $X=(-\infty,0]$, $A=\{0\}$, Y=$[0,\infty)$, $f(0)=0$. This means we glue two half-lines together at point $0$. The result is $\mathbb R$ with the standard metric.

Another example: glue two closed disks of the same radius along their boundaries. This means $A$ is the boundary of one disk, and $f(A)$ is the boundary of the other. The resulting space is homeomorphic to a sphere, though the metric on each disk is still flat. It's like a sphere that someone sat on.

  • $\begingroup$ Could you (or someone) explain what is meant by the quotient $(X\sqcup Y)/(x\sim f(x))$? I thought to define a quotient space, one needs an equivalence relation defined on a topological space. But here we are only defining $x$ to be equivalent to $f(x)$ (where $f:A\to Y$)? What happens to the other points in $X\sqcup Y$ (which I take to mean the disjoint union of $X$ and $Y$) in defining the quotient? $\endgroup$ – Fang Jing Nov 12 '14 at 2:16
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ It's the quotient by the smallest equivalence relation containing all pairs $\{(x,f(x)):x\in A\}$. So, if a point is not in $A$ or $f(A)$, then it is in the trivial, one-point equivalence class. $\endgroup$ – user147263 Nov 12 '14 at 3:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.