$\qquad a = b^2 \pmod c$.

Are there special "names" for $a$ and/or $b$? I mean something like '$b$ is a modular root of $a$' or similar.


$a$ is called a quadratic residue modulo $c$ in this case. I doubt there is a name for $b$ besides "a solution to the congruence $x^2\equiv a\pmod c$".

| cite | improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.