I have a question related to set theory.

If $A_1,A_2,A_3\dots, A_n$ belongs to universal set $U$, and if all of the sets are disjoint i.e. $A_i \cap A_j = \emptyset$ for all $i$ and $j$.

And If their union equals to Universal set i.e. $A_1 \cup A_2 \cup \dots A_n = U $ = Universal set.

What is such situation called?


migrated from mathoverflow.net Mar 16 '14 at 20:20

This question came from our site for professional mathematicians.

  • 7
    $\begingroup$ It's called a Partition! $\endgroup$ – Bjørn Kjos-Hanssen Mar 16 '14 at 19:12
  • $\begingroup$ @Bjørn: If none of the sets is empty, of course. $\endgroup$ – Asaf Karagila Mar 16 '14 at 20:35
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Thanks a lot for answer.Sorry couldnt acknowledge answer as I was not well.My hearty thanks and sincerest apologies to naslundx,bjorn and asaf. $\endgroup$ – Pruthviraj Chauhan Apr 15 '14 at 15:13

If every $A_i$ is nonempty, you have described a partition of the set $U$.

The definition holds for any set, not just for the current universal set. If the union of disjoint (non-empty) sets equal any set $X$, we say in the same way that we have a partition of $X$.

  • $\begingroup$ You have to require that none of the $A_i$ are empty, though. $\endgroup$ – Asaf Karagila Mar 16 '14 at 20:35
  • $\begingroup$ @asafKaragila Thanks, added that information. $\endgroup$ – naslundx Mar 16 '14 at 20:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.