I'm not sure how to ask but I hope you will understand.

Let's say we have such root: $$m\sqrt[2] n$$ or $$2\sqrt[2]3$$ So could you please tell me how to call m or 2 and n or 3 and how to say everything combined. I hope you understand what I am asking

  • $\begingroup$ For everything combined I'd just say "$m$ radical $n$." I'd call them individually the integer part and the radical part but that's just something I made up right now. $\endgroup$ – anon Sep 8 '11 at 20:09
  • $\begingroup$ @Templar: Do you mean $2$ times the square root of $3$, or do you mean $\sqrt[2]{3}$, "the square root of $3$" (or with $\sqrt[m]{n}$, "the $m$th root of $n$")? $\endgroup$ – Arturo Magidin Sep 8 '11 at 20:15
  • $\begingroup$ @ArturoMagidin I meant to ask as square root (edited), but you may answer both like $m\sqrt[k]n$ or $2\sqrt[4]3$ too $\endgroup$ – Templar Sep 8 '11 at 20:21
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ @Templar: The number "inside" is sometimes called the "radicand"; so $n$ and $3$ in your examples would be the "radicands". Your $m$ and $2$, which are merely multiplying the result of the radical, are simply "factors". The $m$ in $\sqrt[m]{n}$ does not, as far as I am aware, have a specific name. $\endgroup$ – Arturo Magidin Sep 8 '11 at 20:25

The quantity inside the radical ("$\sqrt{\hspace{.1in}}$") is called the radicand. The quantity above the radical is called the index. I would call the quantity preceding the radical a coefficient, but that has nothing to do with the radical.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.