I plotted $z = x^2+y^2$ and got this shape. Is there a name for this shape?

How about $z \ge x^2 + y^2$ ?

enter image description here


The surface is a "circular paraboloid" (a special case of the "elliptic paraboloid"). Slices by planes perpendicular to the $z$ axis are (concentric) circles, while slices by planes parallel to the $z$ axis are (identical) parabolas.

It's an example of a surface of revolution, in this case obtained by revolving the basic parabola shape (think $y = x^2$) about its axis.

The filled counterpart would simply be a "solid circular paraboloid".


A paraboloid, see the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraboloid

  • $\begingroup$ To be precise, an elliptic paraboloid, I think. $\endgroup$ – Old John Dec 1 '13 at 20:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.