Let us call a fraction whose denominator is odd 'odd fraction'. Also, let us call an odd fraction whose numerator is 1 'odd unit fraction'.

Then, here is my question.

Question : Is the following true?

"Any odd unit fraction whose denominator is not $1$ can be represented as the sum of three different odd unit fractions."

Motivation : I've been asking this question. Then, I reached the above expectation.

Examples :

$$\frac 13=\frac 15+\frac 19+\frac 1{45}$$ $$\frac 15=\frac 1{7}+\frac 1{21}+\frac 1{105}$$ $$\frac 17=\frac 19+\frac 1{33}+\frac 1{693}$$ $$\frac 19=\frac 1{11}+\frac 1{51}+\frac 1{1683}$$ $$\vdots$$ $$\frac 1{99}=\frac 1{101}+\frac 1{5001}+\frac 1{16668333}$$ $$\vdots$$


If $n$ is not a multiple of 3, then $$\frac{1}{n}=\frac{1}{n+2}+\frac{3}{(n+2)(n+4)}+\frac{1}{n(n+2)(n+4)}$$
Second try: You have the first fraction is $1/(n+2)$. Then you want to solve $$\frac{2}{n(n+2)}=\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}$$ Rearrange that into $(2a-n(n+2))(2b-n(n+2))=n^2(n+2)^2$ You can make the right-hand side equal to $pq$, where both $p$ and $q$ are $3\bmod 4$. (Take $p=n$ or $p=n+2$) Then $a$ and $b$ will be odd.
So $a=n(n+3)/2, b=n(n+2)(n+3)/2$ or $a=(n+1)(n+2)/2, b=n(n+2)(n+1)/2$

  • $\begingroup$ Sadly, I don't think it's true though. $\endgroup$ – Empy2 Oct 7 '13 at 14:29
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ This is not correct; take any $n$ other than $7$, e.g. $n=5$ or $n=11$. In fact, $\frac1n - \frac1{n+2} - \frac3{(n+2)(n+4)} = \frac{8-n}{n(n+2)(n+4)}$ $\endgroup$ – ShreevatsaR Oct 7 '13 at 14:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.