A binary relation on a set that is reflexive and symmetric is called a compatible relation. Let $A$ be a set. A cover of $A$ is a set of non empty subsets of $A$, say $\{ A_1, A_2, A_3 \ldots, A_n\}$ such that union of $A_i$'s is equal to $A$. Suggest a way to define a compatible relation on $A$ from a cover of $A$.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ If you show us how you have tried to answer this question perhaps someone can use your work to give a good hint or answer this question. $\endgroup$ – Jay Sep 28 '13 at 20:38
  • $\begingroup$ Binary reflexive, symmetric relations are also called tolerances: math.stackexchange.com/questions/268726/… $\endgroup$ – alancalvitti Apr 22 '15 at 19:33

HINT: Let $\mathscr{C}$ be a cover of $A$. For each $a\in A$ let $\mathscr{C}_a=\{C\in\mathscr{C}:a\in C\}$. Use the sets $\mathscr{C}_a$ to define a compatible relation $\sim$ on $A$: for $a,b\in A$, $a\sim b$ if and only if $\mathscr{C}_a$ and $\mathscr{C}_b$ are ... what?

| cite | improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.