What do you call this function?

$$f(x) = x(1 - x)$$

Does it have a name? It’s cropped up in at least two statistical formulas I've been asked to program so far. (In both cases, $x$ was something called a $p$-value (for what it's worth).)


If Z can take values 1 or 0 with probability x and 1-x, respectively, we usually call x*(1-x) the variance of Z.

This is a special case of the more general variance formula, and works because Z is what we call an indicator variable.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.