When finding the mean of grouped data, at some point you need to do: Frequency $\times $ Midpoint = .....

Could someone tell me the name of the answer, does it have a name? Its labeled as fx in a lot of places, but I don't actually know what to call it?


I would normally call it $ f \times m $, although if you want to give it a name you could say that it was an estimate of the total for that class interval (or group).

Sometimes I shorten it to just fm.

  • $\begingroup$ Ah ok, that sounds reasonable, thank :) $\endgroup$ – Jamie Jun 15 '11 at 13:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.