Suppose that $s = a_{0}a_{1}\ldots$ is a sequence, $i \in \mathbb{N}$, and I wish to replace $a_{i}$ with $b$. One way to write such a sequence is $a_{0}\ldots a_{i - 1}ba_{i + 1}\ldots$. This notation takes a lot of space. Is there a commonly used notation which is more compact?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ depends on the context. I have seen something like $s^{(a_i\to b)}$, but you need to supplement it with a note on the intended meaning. $\endgroup$
    – trying
    Sep 24, 2022 at 14:55
  • $\begingroup$ @trying Your proposal is likely as compact as the expression can be. The stmaryrd package has a "shortrightarrow" symbol. If you turn your comment into an answer I will accept it. $\endgroup$
    – Jay
    Sep 24, 2022 at 19:33


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .