I want to self-study differential topology. I'd like to hear suggestions from you about appropriate books that I could use while studying.

Note: I have not studied differential topology before. I self-studied general topology and some algebraic topology before.

Thank you


A standard introductory textbook is Differential Topology by Guillemin and Pollack. It was used in my introductory class and I can vouch for its solidity. You might also check out Milnor's Topology from the Differentiable Viewpoint and Morse Theory. (I have not read the first, and I have lightly read the second.)

For other books on topology, Hatcher has a nice list here. You may be interested in books like Bott-Tu or others listed under item III, manifold theory.

  • $\begingroup$ +1 Thanks for your answer. For the first book that you mentioned, am I missing any of its prerequisites ? $\endgroup$ – Amr Jul 18 '13 at 13:52
  • $\begingroup$ @Amr Have you studied analysis and measure theory, enough to be familiar with Lebesgue integrals? $\endgroup$ – Neal Jul 18 '13 at 13:53
  • $\begingroup$ I did, but I did not go to deep. I studied measure theory from an analysis book. There were 2 chapters on measure theory. I did not study a pure measure theory book. Is this OK ? $\endgroup$ – Amr Jul 18 '13 at 13:55
  • $\begingroup$ I am familiar with lesbesgue integrals as well. $\endgroup$ – Amr Jul 18 '13 at 13:59
  • 4
    $\begingroup$ What you need is a multivariable analysis course -- familiarity with the derivative as a linear map, chain rule, inverse/implicit function theorems. You don't need any abstract measure theory, although the notion of measure zero will show up. $\endgroup$ – Ted Shifrin Jul 18 '13 at 14:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.