I'm looking for a name to describe the points of the same value of a periodic function -- you draw a horizontal line across a periodic function and you get a set of values.

That is, a name for _all $x$ points where $\sin(x)=0$, for example. That would be the set of points $x=n\pi, n \in \mathbb{I}$. But is there a name to describe this set -- e.g. all the "isopoints" of $\sin(x)$ for a given value of $\sin(x)$?

| cite | improve this question | | | | |

I think the only name is just the fiber (or levelset or preimage of a point).

| cite | improve this answer | | | | |
  • $\begingroup$ Another name I have encountered is "level set" (at least for real-valued functions). $\endgroup$ – Daniel Fischer Jul 1 '13 at 15:50
  • $\begingroup$ @DanielFischer i'm silly, i didn't actually read the wiki page except enough to verify that it was the right one, and it lists level set and preimage as other names $\endgroup$ – citedcorpse Jul 1 '13 at 15:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.