2
$\begingroup$

Now, I'm no mathematician but I really want to become one in the near future. I primarily want to ask people who've attempted to do mathematical research, how was it like? And also, how hard was it?
Another question is, what are your best tips for anyone attempting to do mathematical research? Also, if possible, how different it is from competitive mathematics or "problem-solving".

$\endgroup$
8
  • $\begingroup$ And what do you want to research? $\endgroup$
    – FShrike
    Sep 3, 2021 at 7:13
  • $\begingroup$ @FShrike Whatever I happen to excel at... I won't research things I'm not qualified to research... or at least up to my own standards of myself. It's not like I want to do research now... just that I want to have a projection. $\endgroup$
    – Math3147
    Sep 3, 2021 at 7:14
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ First and foremost, you need to be willing to be frustrated 90% of your time, so unless the remaining 10% make you feel really great it is not worth doing it. $\endgroup$
    – asdq
    Sep 3, 2021 at 7:20
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Fair warning: the frustration of finishing a proof after some hours is peanuts compared to finding a counterexample to what you were trying to prove after four months. $\endgroup$
    – 5xum
    Sep 3, 2021 at 7:49
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ @5xum Even worse is to work years on a problem, find a great result just to find out later that someone has done this already. $\endgroup$
    – Peter
    Sep 3, 2021 at 9:17

0

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.