Is there a name for a distributive lattice with only two (nonequal) elements, 1 and 0, corresponding to top and bottom, respectively? I was thinking of calling it a trivial lattice, but a trivial lattice should probably just have one element.

  • $\begingroup$ I'd call it the trivial bounded lattice myself, since bounded lattices by definition have a top and bottom element. (The single element lattice would be degenerate in that case) $\endgroup$
    – Alan
    Jul 17, 2021 at 19:37
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Some call it $\mathbf 2$, and in general, $\mathbf n$ to a $n$-element chain. $\endgroup$
    – amrsa
    Jul 17, 2021 at 19:40
  • $\begingroup$ The free lattice on 0 elements $\endgroup$ Jul 17, 2021 at 20:07

1 Answer 1


For a name, I would use the two-element chain. Grätzer uses this at least nine times in his book Lattice Theory. Foundation (Birkhäuser/Springer 2011).

Common notations are $C_2$ (used by Grätzer) and $\mathbf{2}$ (used by Stanley in Enumerative Combinatorics, vol. 1).


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.