Consider $N\sim\mathcal N(0,1)$ a standard normal random variable. Can we find a dependent random variable $D$, such that the random variable $M=N+D$ is still a standard normal distribution? I would also like to choose the variance of D that would be typically smaller than 1. $D$ would represent a kind of random noise that do not change the random distribution when added.

If $D$ is an independent distribution with average 0, the average is still $0$ but the variance of $D$ is added to that of $N$. This property is not true when the random variables are correlated. We might determine $D$ with its conditional distribution : $f(D | N)$

I have no idea how to solve this problem.

  • 4
    $\begingroup$ What about $D = -2N$? $\endgroup$ – Vasily Mitch Jun 10 at 20:01
  • $\begingroup$ Actually, as said, I would like to choose the variance of D. -2N has a variance of 4. (D=0 also works with a variance of 0) What if I want a variance of 0.1, for instance ? $\endgroup$ – Arnaud Mégret Jun 10 at 20:12
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Let $D=-2N$ if $|N| \le k$ for some $k$ and $D=0$ if $|N| \gt k$. Make $k$ as close to $0$ as you want to get the variance of $D$ you want $\endgroup$ – Henry Jun 10 at 20:17
  • $\begingroup$ True. Well, that is definitely not the distribution I need as a random noise. But mathematically this perfectly solves the problem I described. $\endgroup$ – Arnaud Mégret Jun 10 at 20:25

I finally found a simple and smooth solution. (sorry for having asked a question I did not spend enough time to try to solve myself before)

Consider a random variable $E \sim \mathcal{N}(0,\sigma^2)$ independent from N and $D = \frac{N+E}{\sqrt{1+\sigma^2}}-N$ then $M = \frac{N+E}{\sqrt{1+\sigma^2}} \sim \mathcal{N}(0,1)$

The variance of D is function of $\sigma^2$ so we can set $\sigma^2$ in order to have the choosen variance for $D$.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.