Folding a square to produce a torus has an analogy with "folding" a cube to produce what? Is there a name for the resulting 4D structure?


Yes. Perhaps unfortunately, such an object is also called a torus. If you want to be precise, you might use the word "hypertorus" or say explicitly "$n$-dimensional torus". In your case, you would be interested in the $3$-torus embedded in $4$D.

In general, if we write $S^1$ for the circle, then $S^1 \times S^1 \times \cdots \times S^1$ is called a torus (by analogy with the classical case $S^1 \times S^1$).

In particular, a square is $[0,1] \times [0,1]$. So when we glue together the boundaries, we're glueing the $[0,1]$s into circles. So we wind up with $S^1 \times S^1$.

What about a cube? It's $[0,1] \times [0,1] \times [0,1]$. Again, we glue opposite sides of the cube together, and we wind up with $S^1 \times S^1 \times S^1$.

I hope this helps ^_^


Such an object is also called a genus-3 handlebody.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.