I would like to relate the idea of taking an integral over a surface vector in the language of differential geometry.

For example, the integral (in $\mathbb{R}^3$) $$ \vec{A} = \int_{d\Omega} f d\vec{S} $$ where $f: \mathbb{R}^3 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ is a function of position. In standard vector calculus, this is interpreted as the integral over surface vectors (resulting in a vector). Is there a way to write this in terms of differential forms?

If we had instead $$ A = \int_{d\Omega} \vec{f} \cdot d\vec{S} $$ where $f: \mathbb{R}^3 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^3$ is a vector function of position. We could write this as a $2$-form $df = f_x dy \wedge dz + f_y dz \wedge dx + f_z dy \wedge dz$. I'm trying to relate it to something like this.



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.