I have a bunch of values, which I aggregate as follows:

  1. Order them from worst to best (whatever this means). The visual image is that of a horizontal line and the worst item is to the left of the best item.
  2. Return the item which has 25% (50%/75%) of the items to its left.

I am sure there is a proper term for this kind of aggregation, I just do not know what it is.

Much appreciated.

  • $\begingroup$ Lower quartile? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartile $\endgroup$
    – user73445
    Commented May 7, 2013 at 14:59
  • $\begingroup$ If this is it - why not arrange it as an answer, so I could credit you? $\endgroup$
    – mark
    Commented May 7, 2013 at 15:00
  • $\begingroup$ More generally, these are called "percentiles." $\endgroup$ Commented May 7, 2013 at 15:17

1 Answer 1


I think you're referring to the lower quartile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartile


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .