Suppose we define a function which returns $1$ if the number is even and $0$ if the number is odd:

$$\begin{align} S\left(x\right) = \left\{\begin{array}{lr} 0 & \text{if $x$ is odd} \\ 1 & \text{if $x$ is even} \end{array}\right. \end{align}$$

Now, I am wondering if there is word to describe the output of this function? What can I put in the blank below?

The value of S(x) shows the .......... of the number $x$.

I know that one can say other different sentences to imply what this function does, but I am specifically curious to know if there is any technical terminology which describes the odd-even properties of the numbers. This is just an example to make my question more understandable. Thanks.

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ "the parity"${}$? $\endgroup$ May 30, 2020 at 6:45
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Parity should be a suitable word $\endgroup$
    – Mathsisfun
    May 30, 2020 at 6:46
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Thank you guys, would you please post an answer so that I can accept your answer? $\endgroup$
    – Cardinal
    May 30, 2020 at 6:46

1 Answer 1


As mentioned in the comments, saying that $S(x)$ displays the parity of $x$ would be just fine.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.