This question is more about nomenclature than a problem to solve.

Imagine that I have a set

$$A = \{1,2,3\}$$

and I want do make the following set

$$B = \{(1,1),(1,2),(1,3),(2,1),(2,2),(2,3),(3,1),(3,2),(3,3)\}$$

How would I call the set $B$? Is this the set of all permutated pairs with all elements of $A$? But is this even permutations or combinations? How can I call $B$ in terms of $A$?

  • 10
    $\begingroup$ It is the cartesian product $A \times A$ $\endgroup$ Apr 30 '20 at 12:49
  • $\begingroup$ Just an afterthought, you could also say: $$B=\lbrace(x,y)|x,y\in A\rbrace$$ $\endgroup$ May 1 '20 at 1:16

We can write this as $B = A\times A$, where $\times$ denotes the cartesian product. Alternatively, you might write $A^2$.

In words, you might say that $B$ is the set of all ordered pairs of (elements of) $A$.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.