I was recently asked how to call a number sequence, and since I am not sure about naming conventions, I am grateful for any help.

There is a sequence of real numbers, where:

  • the next element always equals the previous element, multiplied by 2
  • 1 is included

A slice of this sequence will look like that: 0.0625, 0.125, 0.25, 0.5, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32.

Is there a well-known name for this sequence? I see powers of two, starting from 1, but is there a name like “integers” or “Fibonacci numbers”?

Are there separate names for an integer part and fractional part? I saw several names in OEIS, but what about fractional part?

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ The numbers on the left (less than $1$) are negative powers of $2$ $\endgroup$
    – Henry
    Jan 8, 2020 at 14:02
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ That's a geometric sequence with coefficient $q=2$ & first term $a_1=0.0625$ $\endgroup$
    – Invisible
    Jan 8, 2020 at 14:08

1 Answer 1


It is called a geometric progression of common ratio 2. The first element of the sequence is the scale factor.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.