I have a student typing up her thesis. She needs to type external tensor, $\boxtimes$. Is there anyway to get that symbol in Microsoft Word? She doesn't know how to use TeX.


closed as off-topic by tomasz, Willie Wong, Shailesh, Jack's wasted life, user223391 Nov 5 '16 at 7:16

  • This question does not appear to be about math within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • $\begingroup$ I added the tag 'notation' because I couldn't think of a more appropriate tag. $\endgroup$ – Joe Johnson 126 Apr 2 '13 at 15:19
  • $\begingroup$ Has she tried copying and pasting it from your question? Works for me on just about every editor i use (don't have Word specifically) $\endgroup$ – muzzlator Apr 2 '13 at 15:23
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ copy-paste the symbol from your post gives me this : ⊠ what about in word ? $\endgroup$ – Vincent Nivoliers Apr 2 '13 at 15:23
  • 5
    $\begingroup$ She should learn TeX. She's typing up a mathematical paper in Word? $\endgroup$ – noobProgrammer Apr 2 '13 at 15:26
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because this is not a question about Mathematics. For question on how to use Microsoft Word, superuser.com is a more appropriate site. $\endgroup$ – Willie Wong Nov 5 '16 at 1:01

It does seem that Word will render the symbol by "copy and paste". It worked in implementation of Word (Office 10), and rendered as Cambria Math (font), with size $13$, which can be scaled to a different font size.

Edit: the symbol "$\boxtimes$" can be directly inserted from/within "Word" using:

  • "insert":

    • "symbol": < choose "normal text": "mathematical operators">.

Or, the better option if working within the Word "Equation Editor" environment:

  • "insert"

    • "Equation": "math operators": < See "special operators">

The symbol in Word is referred to as "squared times."

It rendered as the exact image compared to "copied-and-pasted" symbol I inserted.

  • $\begingroup$ Yes. I forgot to tell the OP it is called "squared times". Thanks for remarking that. $\endgroup$ – mrs Apr 2 '13 at 15:43
  • $\begingroup$ My student went with your answer. So, I'll give you the check. $\endgroup$ – Joe Johnson 126 Apr 2 '13 at 16:50
  • $\begingroup$ @amWhy: I recall there was a Scientific Word that included a CAS with it. I wish someone would make such a nicely integrated tool! Perhaps people are catching up with things like LibreOffice. +1 $\endgroup$ – Amzoti May 20 '13 at 1:33
  • $\begingroup$ Is LibreOffice OpenOffice? or has the name changed? $\endgroup$ – Namaste May 20 '13 at 1:38

Do as I suggested you above. I made a photo showing that.

**enter image description here**

  • $\begingroup$ How do you take a "screen shot"? $\endgroup$ – Namaste Apr 2 '13 at 15:49
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @amWhy: PrintScreen + Ctrl-V into a photo editor (e.g. MS Paint) $\endgroup$ – Asaf Karagila Apr 2 '13 at 16:01
  • $\begingroup$ @AsafKaragila PrintScreen grabs the entire screen. Usually you ust want a picture of a single application window. For that, one can use Alt+PrintScreen. $\endgroup$ – kahen Apr 2 '13 at 16:02
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks, @Asaf! I've done this before (for programming), but it's been awhile, and I went "blank"!! $\endgroup$ – Namaste Apr 2 '13 at 16:02
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @amWhy: I did exactly what Asaf noted. $\endgroup$ – mrs Apr 2 '13 at 16:07

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.