I'm trying to solve this trigonometric equation: $$\sin(12º)\sin(24º)\sin(84º-xº) = \sin(30º)\sin(30º)\sin(xº)$$

I got here after applying Trigonometric Ceva Theorem. Here, I don't know how to solve it, I tried to use $\sin(xº)\sin(60º-xº)\sin(60º+xº)=\frac{\sin(3xº)}{4}$, but I couldn't proceed further.

Any hints are appreciated.

  • $\begingroup$ Do you have two $\sin 30^\circ$? Isn't it $\sin^230^\circ=1/4$? $\endgroup$ – Quang Hoang Dec 9 '19 at 17:35
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Yes, but I put the complete equation after applying the Ceva theorem to give a little bit of context. $\endgroup$ – Rodrigo Pizarro Dec 9 '19 at 17:36
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ With such setups (Trig form of Ceva), you usually have to guess what $x$ is first, and then prove the trigonometric identity. It is often hard to stare and it and see something magically appear, esp working with sin (84-x). (We know a unique solution exists because of monotonicity of sin ( 84 - x) / sin x.) In this case, $ x = 18^ \circ$. $\endgroup$ – Calvin Lin Dec 9 '19 at 17:39
  • $\begingroup$ I knew the answer, I just want to know how to get there after guessing it. $\endgroup$ – Rodrigo Pizarro Dec 9 '19 at 17:42
  • $\begingroup$ In which case, update your question accordingly. Also, typically you just brute force your way through. The hard part is guessing the value. $\endgroup$ – Calvin Lin Dec 9 '19 at 17:51

$$\dfrac{\sin x}{\sin(84-x)}=4\sin12\sin24$$

Using the Werner Formulas, $4\sin y\sin2y=2(\cos y-\cos3y)$

Using Proving trigonometric equation $\cos(36^\circ) - \cos(72^\circ) = 1/2$



I should leave it to you now!


HINT: Once you get into the form $$\frac{\sin(x)}{\sin(84 - x)}$$ Use the trig identity $$\sin(A-B) = \sin(A)\cos(B) - \cos(A)\sin(B)$$ and then try to cancel the $\sin(x)$ in the numerator. I was able to simplify after this, although its a bit of a pain.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.