In old Hewlet Packard calculators, it was common to have an int and a frac function, which were giving the integer and the fraction part of a number.

Nowadays, the floor function is quite common and noted $ \lfloor x \rfloor $ but to get fraction part, you usually need to compute it "by hand" by explicitly writing something like x - floor(x). I wondered if there existed some mathematical short hand notation for $frac(x) = x - \lfloor x \rfloor $.

Thank you.

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Most common is $\{x\}$. $\endgroup$ – lulu Oct 25 '19 at 21:27
  • $\begingroup$ Thank you but why wouldn't you post this as a reply (which I could accept as the reply) ? $\endgroup$ – Camion Oct 25 '19 at 21:28

As requested in the comments:

The standard notation for the fractional part of $x$ is $\{x\}$.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.