Call a subset $A\subset X$ of an infinite set $X$ coinfinite if $X\setminus A$ is infinite.

Is there a standard way to denote the infinite coinfinite subsets of an infinite set (in particular of $\omega$)?

I have made up $\mathrm{Spl}(\omega)$, motivated by it being the set of those subsets of $\omega$ that split $\omega$, but I was wondering if there is a more common notation.

  • $\begingroup$ My understanding is that a subset $S$ of a set is cofinite if $S^c$ is finite, and similarly, $S$ is coinfinite if $S^c$ is infinite. I guess this is not the definition you have in mind. Could you please give your definition of these notions? $\endgroup$ – J.-E. Pin Oct 17 '19 at 10:11
  • $\begingroup$ Do you mean "infinite coinfinite"? These are the sets that split $\omega$. $\endgroup$ – Jonathan Oct 17 '19 at 12:05
  • $\begingroup$ @Jonathan Oops, indeed, I mean infinite coinfinite $\endgroup$ – Vsotvep Oct 17 '19 at 15:13
  • $\begingroup$ @J.-E.Pin I meant to write infinite coinfinite, sorry for the confusion. $\endgroup$ – Vsotvep Oct 17 '19 at 15:15
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ I don't think there is a standard notation for this, annoyingly. I've seen things like "$\mathcal{P}_{biinf}(X)$" or "$[X]^{biinf}$" or similar, but not something established. $\endgroup$ – Noah Schweber Oct 17 '19 at 15:25

A standard notation for the class of infinite subsets of $X$ is $[X]^{\geq \aleph_0}$.

On the other hand, the Fréchet filter (class of cofinite subsets) of $X$ can be denoted by $\text{Fr}(X)$.

Therefore, your set can be denoted by $[X]^{\geq \aleph_0} - \text{Fr}(X)$.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.