Should one place an "en dash" or an ordinary "hyphen" between AM and GM (arithmetic mean and geometric mean inequality)?


closed as primarily opinion-based by Hans Lundmark, José Carlos Santos, Lord Shark the Unknown, Shailesh, The Count Jul 4 at 2:33

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 5
    $\begingroup$ This is a typographical question, not really mathematical. I would use a hyphen. $\endgroup$ – Ethan Bolker Jul 3 at 16:07
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ AFAIK, one would for example write $\text{Birch--Swinnerton-Dyer conhecture}$ to make clear that there are two names, one being a double name. However, in your case I would see it as simple compounding, so $\text{AM-GM inequality}$ (similar to blue-white dress) $\endgroup$ – Hagen von Eitzen Jul 3 at 16:09
  • $\begingroup$ If you're writing an article for a journal, they're likely to have their own editorial conventions, and enforce them, so perhaps the point is moot. $\endgroup$ – John Hughes Jul 3 at 16:14