A dihedral group $D$ can be defined as the group generated by elements $r$ and $s$, where $r$ has order $n$, $s$ has order $2$, and $sas = a^{-1}$ for all $a \in \langle r \rangle$. It seems that more generally, given a finite abelian group $G$, we could define a group $G \cup sG$ where $s$ has order $2$, and $sas = a^{-1}$ for all $a \in G$. This would essentially taking the maximal cyclic subgroup of a dihedral group and replacing it with a general abelian group. Is there a name for this type of group?



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.