it is a fairly generate question regarding a terminology.

People without science or engineering discipline makes an unfounded claim X, but people with such discipline start with proven facts A, B, C, D, and step by step they derive and prove using proven principals, so that what they conclude is mathematically or scientifically sound and without any flaw:

From A and B, X is derived

C, D => Y

X, Y => Z

What is this process/methodology called generally? Is it called "derive and prove"? I had my Tertiary education in China so I don't know the English terminology for this. Thanks!

  • $\begingroup$ Welcome to Mathematics Stack Exchange! A quick tour will enhance your experience. Here are helpful tips to write a good question and write a good answer. For equations, please use MathJax. $\endgroup$
    – dantopa
    Jun 6, 2019 at 0:26
  • $\begingroup$ The scientific method perhaps. $\endgroup$
    – mallan
    Jun 6, 2019 at 0:30
  • $\begingroup$ Maybe deduction? $\endgroup$ Jun 6, 2019 at 0:31
  • 5
    $\begingroup$ Deductive reasoning $\endgroup$
    – user856
    Jun 6, 2019 at 0:34
  • $\begingroup$ Or analytic reasoning? $\endgroup$ Jun 6, 2019 at 0:47


You must log in to answer this question.