I'm asked to convert this integral: $$\int^1_0\int_{-\sqrt{1-y^2}}^0\int^{2-x^2-y^2}_0 x\ dz\ dx\ dy $$

to cylindrical coordinates. This is what I calculated for the limits: $$\int^{2\pi}_0\int^0_{-1}\int^{2-r^2}_0r\cos\theta \ r\ dz\ dr \ d\theta $$

For $z$ I got $2-r^2$ as the upper limit as $r^2=x^2+y^2$.

For $r$ I got $0$ as the upper limit as $r\cos\theta=0$ and so $r=0$. For the lower limit I got \begin{align} r\cos\theta & =-\sqrt{1-r^2\sin^2\theta}\\ r^2\cos^2\theta & =1-r^2\sin^2\theta\\ r^2(\cos^2\theta+\sin^2\theta) & = 1\\ r&=\pm1 \end{align}

This is the first part that confuses me. Should the $r$ limits be $[-1,0]$ or $[-1,1]$? I assume its the former because the latter negates all terms in the integrand and just gives zero.

Then, since the $y$ limits are $[0,1]$, I assumed the $\theta$ limits are $[0,2\pi]$, however because the integrand is a $\cos\theta$ expression, integrating it gives a $\sin\theta$ expression and $\sin(0)$ and $\sin(2\pi)=0$, this also just makes the whole integral equate to zero.

I've tried to look at the problem graphically but the $x$ part confuses me. I've never been given a triple integral to convert to cylindrical coordinates in which the $x$ limits are in this form and am not sure how to approach.

  • $\begingroup$ You need to draw a picture of the region in the $xy$-plane. If $y$ goes from $0$ to $1$ and $x$ goes from $-\sqrt{1-y^2}$, what is the region? Now figure out $(r,\theta)$. $\endgroup$ Mar 25 '19 at 17:01


In fact your integral bounds are wrong (except that for $z$). Note that the set $$\{(x,y)\ |\ -\sqrt{1-y^2}< x< 0\ ,\ 0< y< 1\}$$defines a quarter-circle with the following form in polar coordinates$$\left\{(r,\theta)\ | \ 0<r<1\ , \ {\pi\over 2}<\theta<\pi\right\}$$so the integral would become$$\int_{\pi\over 2}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{2-r^2}r^2\cos \theta dzdrd\theta$$


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.