I want to calculate the integral $$\int_0^1\frac{1}{x+3}\, dx$$ with the Gaussian quadrature formula that integrates exactly all polynomials of degree $6$.

First of all do we have to transform the intervall of the integral, i.e. to shift it from $[0,1]$ to $[-1,1]$, or not?

Then I thought that it holds the following:

The gaussian quadrature integrates exactly polynomials $\Phi (x)$ with maximum degree $2n-1$. $2n-1$ is an odd degree but we have in this case the degree $6$, which is even.

What do we have to do in this case? Or is the way I am thinking wrong?


The answer to your first question is yes, you have to transfer the interval to $[-1,1]$ in order to apply the Gaussian Quadrature. The transformation $x=\frac {t+1}{2}$ would do the trick.

For your second question you need to consider $n=4$ so you get $2n-1=7$ which covers the polynomials of degree 7 as well as polynomials of degree 6. Clearly $n=3$ is not sufficient because you get $2n-1=5$

  • $\begingroup$ So can we determine the Gaussian quadrature formula only at $[-1,1]$ ? Which is the weight function in this case? $\endgroup$ – Mary Star Feb 5 at 19:45
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ The coefficients $c_i$ and the nodes $t_i$ are listed in numerical texts. Once you made the transformation to $t$ you apply the quadrature formula to approximate the integral. $\endgroup$ – Mohammad Riazi-Kermani Feb 6 at 0:27
  • $\begingroup$ But for the calculations of $c_i$ and $t_i$ do we not need the weight function? $\endgroup$ – Mary Star Feb 6 at 20:08
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ You need $ f(t_i)$ and $c_i$ to find the quadrature. $\endgroup$ – Mohammad Riazi-Kermani Feb 6 at 20:23
  • $\begingroup$ I got stuck right now. In general we have an integral $\int_{-1}^1f(x)\cdot w(x)\, dx$, or not If we have $w(x)=1$ do we consider the Legendre polynomials? $\endgroup$ – Mary Star Feb 6 at 20:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.