I am giving a value $\alpha$ and its confidence interval in a table. All numbers are very large so I ought to use scientific notation. But what is the best and neatest way to present this? Some options:
- $5\times10^6 (9\times10^5,9\times10^6)$ - but does not conserve space
- $5\times10^6 (0.9,9)\times10^6$
- $5 (0.9,9) \times10^6$ - unclear that 10^6 applies to both items?
- Use $\alpha\times10^-6$ as column title, and $5 (0.9,9)$ - but is minus sign confusing the fact that alpha is very big?
- Use $\alpha (10^6)$ as column title, and $5 (0.9,9)$ - is this clear?