Let $X$ be a (real) vector space.
Let $S$ be a nonempty subset of $X$.
If $S$ is closed under addition and scalar multiplication,
then we call $S$ a subspace.
If $S$ is closed under multiplication by nonnegative scalars,
then we call $S$ a cone (that may or may not be convex).

My question is:

What do we call $S$ if $S$ is closed under scalar multiplication?

Note: $S$ need not be closed under addition.


Following Bourbaki (EVT I.1.5 Definition 3, II.2.4 Definition 3), such a thing may be called a balanced cone.

  • $\begingroup$ Fantastic, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks very much! $\endgroup$
    – max_zorn
    Feb 2 '19 at 20:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.