I have a number which we'll call α in degrees that represent the angle of a linear function with the X axis. for example when α is 0 the linear function is on the X axis , when α is 360 the linear function is on the X axis. when α is 90 the linear function is on the Y axis. and so on. I want to get from the linear function

y = αx 

the X of y = 1, and the Y of x = 1. and I am not sure how can I do that. can anyone post a quick forumla for calc such a thing? does it have a name ? I know trigo may be needed to transfer degrees for a slope that represent the value of y for X = 1.

  • $\begingroup$ When $\alpha =90°$, it doesn't necessarily mean that the linear function is on the y-Axis. It rather shows that it is parallel to the y-axis $\endgroup$ – Dr. Mathva Dec 9 '18 at 20:41
  • $\begingroup$ Is $\alpha$ given, or do you get the function and have to calculate it? $\endgroup$ – Dr. Mathva Dec 9 '18 at 20:42
  • $\begingroup$ alpha is given. $\endgroup$ – tomer zeitune Dec 9 '18 at 20:55
  • $\begingroup$ What's the problem then? You would have: $$\text{X of y=1}=\frac{1}{\alpha}$$ and $$\text{Y of x=1}=\alpha$$ Or am I missing something? $\endgroup$ – Dr. Mathva Dec 9 '18 at 20:57
  • $\begingroup$ Alpha is in degrees how do I transfer that to a slope (Y value for X = 1) ? $\endgroup$ – tomer zeitune Dec 9 '18 at 21:49


If $\alpha$ is the inclination angle of a linear function, then the slope of the function is $\arctan \alpha$


Let $\Delta ABC$ be the slope triangle of the function, with $[AB]$ lying on the x-axis. Denote by $m$ the slope of the function and by $\alpha$ the angle of the linear function with the x-axis. Since $\angle CBA=90°$, we can tell $$\tan(\angle BAC)=\tan(\alpha)=\frac{BC}{AB}=m$$

enter image description here

Let then simply $$X=\frac{1}{\tan(\alpha)}$$ and $$Y=\tan(\alpha)$$


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.