I am wondering what the name for a section of the area between two concentric circles is called? It's essentially an isosceles trapezoid with the "parallel" sides now curved. I have Googled different iterations of "rounded trapezoid" and "2D toroidal section" etc., but have not found a term that I feel suits this shape.

I appreciate everyone's help.

enter image description here

  • I don't think it has a known name. If you need one for something you are writing, make one up and tell your reader. "Angular section of an annulus" might do. – Ethan Bolker Dec 6 at 15:08
  • It isn't a complete annulus, but part of one? – DanielOnMSE Dec 6 at 15:08
  • 2
    annulus sector? This is how the wiki entry of annulus call it. – achille hui Dec 6 at 15:09
  • Yes, I'm writing an academic journal paper and some of these terms are out of my wheelhouse. I appreciate the recommendation of defining my term for the reader. I just want to make sure I'm not making up a name for it if a name already exists. Imagine dancing around the word "triangle", haha. – kreeser1 Dec 6 at 15:12
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Such a shape is sometimes referred to as a truncated sector or an annular sector. Here is a link to google search results showing the use of the term "truncated sector."

In some contexts it's also called a "Polar Rectangle" since it is the region $(r_0 \leq r \leq r_1) \times (\theta_0 \leq \theta \leq \theta_1)$. That is, it's the product of two polar intervals.

Just guessing, but annular wedge makes sense, as it is to a circular wedge what an annulus is to a circle

The area between two concentric circles is called: an annulus.
So you can call the blue part: a sector of an annulus.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.