I find this structure to be useful in my work, but I cannot find any name for it. I think it might be a "commutative division semiring" but I'm not certain because I cannot find any literature on it.

Basically, I'm looking for a name of some set $S$ where $S$ forms a commutative monoid under addition, the nonzero elements of $S$ an abelian group under multiplication, and the distributive law holds. An example is the set $\{False,True\}$ with logical OR as addition and logical AND as multiplication.


I think you are looking for semifields in this sense:

In ring theory, combinatorics, functional analysis, and theoretical computer science (MSC 16Y60), a semifield is a semiring (S,+,·) in which all elements have a multiplicative inverse.

However, I think the passage I copied contains an error when it says all elements. If you look at the references you'll find that they do exclude $0$.

You'll also find, in Golan's book at least, the name "division semiring" used if commutativity of multiplication is required.

The two most useful resources on semirings that I ever found were these:

Golan, Jonathan S. Semirings and their Applications. Springer Science & Business Media, 2013.


Gondran, Michel, and Michel Minoux. Graphs, dioids and semirings: new models and algorithms. Vol. 41. Springer Science & Business Media, 2008.

I have never read this but it looks like something to consult:

Glazek, Kazimierz. A guide to the literature on semirings and their applications in mathematics and information sciences: with complete bibliography. Springer Science & Business Media, 2002.

  • $\begingroup$ The Wiki article isn't perfect, but you get the drift. $\endgroup$ – rschwieb Dec 6 '18 at 14:32
  • $\begingroup$ I'll take a look into Golan's book. But it would be the definition you gave for division semiring with an identity, so it is a monoid aditively, instead of just a semiring. $\endgroup$ – Garmekain Dec 6 '18 at 15:50
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @Garmekain I'm pretty sure the tendency is to define semirings on abelian monoids not just semigroups. I think the first two references above require that, anyhow. $\endgroup$ – rschwieb Dec 6 '18 at 16:15

For the example you gave, there is a name for that special semiring, and it is called the two-element boolean algebra or boolean semiring.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.