It's my first time posting, but I'm a long time lurker.

I am trying to find information on different ways of converting a real-valued function into a vector of reals. The vector can be infinitely long. An example of this is a Taylor approximation, or a Fourier series approximation.

My question is then if there is a name for this type of procedure?

I know that a series is a close to what I'm looking for, but I am looking for some thing more general since a series is a simple sum,and that is not necessarily what I mean.

Thanks in advance!

  • $\begingroup$ In this generality you could call it "encoding". As soon as you use the word "vector" people are inclined to assume that the procedure is linear. E.g., in Tschebycheff approximation it is not. $\endgroup$ – Christian Blatter Nov 8 '18 at 14:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.