I'm new to the subject of discrete mathematics.
This statement is either true or false and it has to be proved. I've struggled with this exercise for quite a while, and this is what I came up with:
- If $8|n^2$ then $n^2$ is even
- If $n^2$ is even then $n$ is even
- If $n$ is positive and $4|n$ then $n = 4k$ ($k$ - any positive integer)
- If $n = 4k$ then $n^2 = 16k^2$
- $8|16k^2$ and $4|4k$, therefore the statement is true
$n|m$ means $n$ divides $m$
Can someone verify whether I proved it or not?