A circle is 2D.

A sphere is a 3D circle.

A "teardrop" 2D shape (bottom half circle, top-half kindof diamond shape) probably has a name (I don't know - someone suggested squircle which I love - because it's half square, half circle...). Maybe a lachrymaform? Maybe a symmetrical airfoil?

Anyhow - what's the name of a 3D one of these? bottom-half sphere, with the top half terminating in a sharp point?

  • $\begingroup$ I'm afraid squircle is already taken (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squircle). I think teardrop is probably the best name for it already. $\endgroup$ Sep 6, 2018 at 19:44
  • $\begingroup$ the name of teardrop curve is also taken (ref) $\endgroup$ Sep 6, 2018 at 19:51
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I call the 3D version an upside-down ice cream cone. $\endgroup$
    – user856
    Sep 6, 2018 at 20:08
  • $\begingroup$ Orientation should not matter for a general 3D shape. This is a cone+sphere. Call it an ice cream cone if you like. $\endgroup$
    – Ed Pegg
    Sep 7, 2018 at 3:05
  • $\begingroup$ teardrop is the 2D shape. The actual shape of the real-world physical one (raindrop) bears no resemblance to the shape I'm trying to name (real droplets are flattened on the bottom and with a curved dome on top, they actually resemble a hamburger bun or a kidney bean - not a teardrop shape). So yeah. "Sphere" is the shape-name for a "3D circle". I beginning to think there is no name for a 3D Teardrop ? $\endgroup$ Sep 7, 2018 at 20:44


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.