My question is that let’s say I have a concave increasing function, can I transform it into a new convex increasing function? I know you can take log or exp of the function till it changes one to another, but I mean in a more generic and certain way.

  • $\begingroup$ What do you mean by transform? The question doesn't really make sense as stated. $\endgroup$ – copper.hat Aug 5 '18 at 14:05

Here is one idea, surely not what you intended. Negation flips about the horizontal, changing concave to convex. Reflecting in a vertical line $x=c$ then turns convex decreasing to convex increasing. Shifting vertically with constants retains these properties.

          $3+x^2$ is concave increasing, $10-x^2$ is convex decreasing. $10-(x-4)^2$ reflects around the vertical $x=4$.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.