I asked a question about this series;

$(1 - \frac12)+(\frac13 - \frac14)(1 - \frac12 + \frac13)+(\frac15 - \frac16)(1 - \frac12 + \frac13 - \frac14 + \frac15)+(\frac17 - \frac18)(1 - \frac12 + \frac13 - \frac14 + \frac15 - \frac16 + \frac17)+...$

in a previous thread and something else about it that I'd like to know is if there is a name for series where the coefficient of each term is a partial sum? Furthermore, is there a general method for finding the closed form sums of such series?


There is no special name since what you have is just a double summation instead of a single summation. Your series is nothing but $$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum_{k=1}^{2n+1} \left(\dfrac1{2n+1}-\dfrac1{2n+2}\right) \left(\dfrac{(-1)^{k-1}}{k} \right)$$ which can also be written as a single summation $$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \left(\dfrac1{2n+1}-\dfrac1{2n+2}\right) \left(H_{2n+1} - H_n\right)$$

  • $\begingroup$ Ah so it is a double sum. Thought so. Sorry to bother you with such a trivial question it was just that sometimes it's written with the sigma in the middle which somehow confused me! $\endgroup$ – KingChem Dec 29 '12 at 0:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.