How to say $\mathcal{E}$ when we are speaking about mathematics? Can I call it "curly E"?

And also how to pronounce $\mathcal{A}$ and $\mathcal{B}$ and $\mathcal{P}$ and so on?

  • 7
    $\begingroup$ Why should anyone bother answering if you're planning to delete their answer? $\endgroup$ – Lord Shark the Unknown Jan 21 '18 at 3:29
  • $\begingroup$ > I may delete it once I get the answer. $\endgroup$ – user223391 Jan 21 '18 at 3:37
  • $\begingroup$ This is something you can google for $\endgroup$ – QuIcKmAtHs Jan 21 '18 at 3:45
  • $\begingroup$ I cannot type strange letters on google $\endgroup$ – Jethro Jan 21 '18 at 3:48
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ For future reference, you cannot delete a question once someone has spent time and energy answering it. $\endgroup$ – gen-z ready to perish Jan 21 '18 at 4:24

It depends on your audience and the context. In physics, $\mathcal E$ usually denotes emf, so you would say that. In set theory, $\mathcal P$ usually denotes a power set, so you would say that. Otherwise, just do your best to describe it in a manner that your audience would understand. “Curly” or “calligraphic” works fine in my opinion.

Side note: You actually can type $\mathcal E$ into Google if you use the Unicode character ℰ (U+2130).


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.