Points lying in a common line are called colinear. Points lying in common plane are called coplanar. Points lying in a common (3-dimensional) space are called cospatial. But how would you call points lying in a common $n$-dimensional space? Can you just call them "co-$n$-spatial"?


1 Answer 1


Is really that meaning of cospatial generally agreed on? I don't think so. And I don't think there's a generally agreed on term for generalizations of the concept.

However some constructs would indicate the meaning of words from it's parts. So co-linear indicates they are on the same line, co-planar indicates that they are on the same plane.

Generalizing this construct co-spatial would mean they are in the same space (but remember that space is often used in a more general sense than just 3-dimensional Euclidean spaces).

On the other hand if we want to be more specific we can be more specific and say 3-space or if it's a subspace talk about 3-subspace. The term that conveys that would be co-3-spatial or co-3-subspatial. The special case where the subspace is one dimension less than the containing space it would be co-hyperplanar.

However as these are not generally agreed on terms you should probably define them somewhere, at least unless they are uniquely defined by the context. Choosing a good name is useful however as it would be easier to remember what it is.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.