The rule is that when line n and m are parallel,


What's the name of this rule? - You won't believe how many books I've checked.

image illustration

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I’ve never seen a name for this theorem, which is a standard corollary of the main theorem on parallel lines cut by another line. $\endgroup$
    – egreg
    Dec 15, 2017 at 7:24

2 Answers 2


One that comes close is the exterior angle theorem that gives $\,b=a+c\,$ in the construction below:

enter image description here

  • $\begingroup$ That was what I was thinking too $\endgroup$ Dec 15, 2017 at 8:06
  • $\begingroup$ and why the angles a abd a-red are equals? $\endgroup$
    – user
    Dec 15, 2017 at 9:09
  • $\begingroup$ @gimusi that's called the Z rule $\endgroup$
    – csg
    Dec 15, 2017 at 10:00

I don’t think there exists a name for this theorem. You can solve it by taking a line parallel to both lines $m$ and $n$, through the vertex of the crook between the lines.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.