What notation is most common for the dihedral group of order $2n$? I'm talking about the group of symmetries of a regular $n$-gon. I know that some books call this group $D_n$, and some books call it $D_{2n}$. There are probably other notations as well.

What notation, if any, is considered more standard? Is there a difference (as there often is) between the US and Europe?

I know that, if I'm writing anything about such a group, I will need to define my notation in context; I'm not asking so that I can be lazy and just use one notation without specifying what it means. I mention this only to prevent people lecturing me about defining my terms in mathematical writing - you would be preaching to the choir. I just wonder what, if anything, people view as "standard".

Thanks in advance.

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ I think you'll have to count votes. I've always called it $D_n$. $\endgroup$ – Ethan Bolker Dec 10 '17 at 18:25
  • $\begingroup$ This question was asked and discussed in Meta.math.meta.stackexchange.com/q/27420/465208 $\endgroup$ – Stephen Meskin Dec 10 '17 at 20:30
  • $\begingroup$ That’s an interesting meta question. No answer, nor really much attempt at evidence... $\endgroup$ – G Tony Jacobs Dec 10 '17 at 21:52
  • $\begingroup$ @StephenMeskin Would you mind making explicit what you feel the answer is, that is implied by the non-answer? I feel like this is turning into some kind of game. Can we just pull back the curtain, please? $\endgroup$ – G Tony Jacobs Dec 11 '17 at 0:37
  • $\begingroup$ It seems to happen here often. One person's non-answer is anothers evidence. :-) $\endgroup$ – Stephen Meskin Dec 11 '17 at 1:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.