I have two interrelated (and inter-cultural) questions.

1- How does one say slope-intercept (form) in German (although the question might also be placed in the German language StackExchange, I think math is the right venue as it is related to mathematics terminology)?

2- Is there a difference between the American convention of the representation of slope-intercept formula (y=mx+b) and the German way of writing that formula?

Thank you very much in advance.


1 Answer 1


In German the equation $y=mx+b$ is called "Geradengleichung mit Steigung $m$". A reference here is wikipedia, see "Haupt-oder Normalform".

Edit: The Japanese version of Wikipedia gives 直線の傾き・切片標準形 (slope–intercept form), $y=mx+b$, for interested readers.

  • $\begingroup$ nice translation!! $\endgroup$ Nov 26, 2017 at 19:27
  • $\begingroup$ Thank you for your informative answer. Vielen Dank! $\endgroup$ Nov 27, 2017 at 10:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.