I have this problem I recently ran into and am wondering how to overcome it: I have $V$, which has a basis of $[e^{ikx}:0\leq k\leq 3]$, and inner product $(f,g) \int_{0}^{a}f(x)\bar{g(x)} $ where $a$ is chosen between $(0,\infty)$. I need to construct an orthonormal basis (going from $v$ to $u$, as $u$ are the orthonormal vectors) of this inner product space. So far, I have performed the following calculations:

I have rewritten $[e^{ikx}:0\leq k\leq 3]$ as $[1, e^{ix}, e^{2ix}, e^{3ix}]$.

Step 1: $||v_1||^2 = \int_{0}^{a}(v_1(x))^2dx = a$ so $u_1=\frac{1}{||v_1||}v_1 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{a}}$.

Step 2: $\tilde{v_2} = v_2 - \langle v_2,u_1 \rangle u_1$

I start this step by calculating the inner product of $v_2$ and $u_1 $ by doing the following (this is where I think I may be making a mistake):

$ \langle v_2,u_1 \rangle=\int_{0}^{a}v_2(x)u_1dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{a}}\int_{0}^{a} e^{ix}dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{a}}(-ie^{ia} + i)$. Upon this, $\langle v_2,u_1 \rangle u_1 = \frac{1}{a}(-ie^{ia} + i)$.

Now we can say that $\tilde{v_2} = e^{ix} - \frac{1}{a}(-ie^{ia} + i)$. I use this to calculate $||\tilde{v_2}||^2 = \int_{0}^{a} \tilde{v_2(x)}^2dx$ which I got to be $(\frac{-i}{2}e^{2ia} + \frac{i}{2}) - (\frac{2(-ie^{ia} + i)}{a})$ and therefore I said $u_2 = \frac{e^{ix} - \frac{1}{a}(-ie^{ia} + i)}{\sqrt{\frac{-i}{2}e^{2ia} + \frac{i}{2} - \frac{2(-ie^{ia} + i)}{a}}}$.

I feel like this problem is becoming overly complicated in terms of calculations and I am questioning where I did something wrong so far. Could someone please guide me in the right direction?


I don't think your calculations can be a lot simpler than that. The mistake I'm seeing is that the norm should be $$ \|\bar{v_2}\|^2=\int_0^a |\bar{v_2}(x)|^2\,dx. $$ The norm is supposed to be a non-negative real number. The mistake didn't appear in the first step because $v_1$ is real.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.